Each year I raise Monarch butterflies. Now I'm going to give a try and help the bee's a little more, besides having lots of flowers for them to love.
Did you know that the bee's are now are dealing with something called CCD or Colony Collapse Disorder? It's when the worker bee's leave their hive and the queen, to fend for themselves. In the last five years the bee population has been slashed in half. So this means fewer pollinators for fruits and vegetables, which means limited crop yields. In turn, driving up the demand and food prices for all.
So how about helping out these wonderful insects that help put food on the table for us!
I found this tutorial on another blog at 2Paws Designs
Here is how I made my Bee House. This is for solitary bee's not honey bee's.
- Brown Wrapping Paper or Paper bag
- utility knife
- 8 oz. plastic bottle
I had a roll of brown wrapping paper so I used that instead of brown paper bags which I did not have.
I cut stripes of paper that were about 5.5" long. I rolled onto a pencil a couple times around to make a tube.
I had a little help from my cat Bonsai! hehe You know how cats love to help!
When I had the bottle filled up, poked a couple holes with scissor point and threaded the twine through. Hung mine in one of my burning bushes. Will see what happens!!
I finally have all my flowers planted in my yard. Did not plant as many in pots this year as I usually do. Saving a little money this year as we are doing a huge remodel right now on our kitchen and bath. The demo is finished. And the electrical, plumbing and dry wall is up. Just waiting now on cabinets, counters, tub and toilet to come in.
So here are a couple pretty flowers from my yard!
Can't believe how well my Clematis is doing this year! I never have this much luck with them! Must be the very rainy spring we had.
And my fav flower, Gerbera Daisy!
Thinking of new sewing projects! So stay tuned!
Peace and Love to All!